World Boxing: Cotto School's Martinez!
Monday, 9 June 2014 | Carl
Miguel Cotto delivered arguably the performance of his career to dominate Sergio Martinez, forcing the Argentine's corner to withdraw him as round 10 began.
Dropped three times in the first round, Martinez never recovered and was hurt to the body and head several times during the fight.
Afterwards, the winner said it was his biggest achievement in boxing.
Cotto, who became Puerto Rico's first four-weight world champion then lavished praise on trainer Freddie Roach afterwards, said of the first round: "I hit him with a hard right hand and then I just went for him."
When asked what he would do next, he said, "Rest. I want to rest and to enjoy my family but whatever Freddie wants me to do I will do."
Cotto, the new WBC middleweight champion and the linear ruler, has lucrative options, including the winner of the July clash between Saul Alvarez and Erislandy Lara, a unification bout with Gennady Golovkin and possible rematches with Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao.
Martinez, who said he would retire if he lost, refused to blame his previously-injured knees on the loss.
"I got caught and I never recovered after that," he said.
Martinez did not attend the post-fight press conference, passing a message through his promoter Lou DiBella that there would be no excuses and that the better man won.
Martinez was going to hospital to get checked out.